FERPA for Parents & Family

Do parents have a right of access to their child’s educational records?

Although parents do not have a right to these records, the university is permitted to share these records with the parents if the student is a dependent of the parents for federal income tax purposes. If the student is a dependent, the university is permitted to release records to the parent, including directory information and non‐directory information.

exterior of theater building
students on campus

Requesting access to your student's educational records

  1. A parent can initiate a request for access to their student's information through the Bobcat Family Portal.  

  2. The parent can provide proof that they claim the student on their income tax by filling out a Parental Affidavit of Dependency Form.

Bobcat Family Portal